Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Meat Me in New Braunfels...

It's all about the Meat, y'all!  It's a very Texan thing to imagine huge cuts of brisket, or that extra thick-cut of steak, sizzling on the hot grill, beer in hand.  And I'm no stranger to the huge cut of beef.  In fact, I've been known to gnaw publicly on the huge beef ribs over at Cooper's BBQ from time to time (I prefer to gnaw privately...but will go public with my gnashing if I have to).  But a recent change in my overall diet has forced me to eat less red meat, and go for more of the poultry and fish.  And very quickly I began to miss those huge cuts of beef that I had grown so accustomed to in my adult life.  So I went searching for better, larger pieces of meat, and was kinda disappointed in what I found...until I discovered what's been a standard...a staple, if you will...in New Braunfels since 1981. 

Granzin's Meat Market is a family-owned store (owned and operated by Gary, Mark, and Michael Granzin) that specializes in fresh cut, high quality, local MEAT!  Just look at this!

And that's only about a quarter of the huge meat counters that you'll find at their store, tucked away behind the huge car dealerships that sit on the southbound I-35 access road just north of Walnut Avenue.  In fact, this store has been so obstructed from view (and is kinda difficult to get to from my house) that when I finally arrive, by using (back roads and turnarounds) I feel like I'm slipping into the parking lot of my own little secret butcher shop. 


Of course, that's a fantasy, since the parking lot is ALWAYS full, especially on weekends, making Granzin's no secret to the New Braunfels meat shopper.  And it's not just beef they offer (although there's plenty of steaks, fresh ground beef, and beef sausage - both dried and ready to cook).  Granzin's offers a huge selection of chicken and other poultry, fish, shrimp, deli meats, and jerky.  And for all you hunters out there, they also offer deer processing at a very reasonable rate.  All of this makes Granzin's my new must-stop on my grocery runs through town...and maybe some extra stops whenever I'm ready to get my grill on!  Here's to happy grilling and ...

Let's Eat New Braunfels!

No comments:

Post a Comment